My employer (provider) has not paid me. What can I do?

ASQA cannot resolve complaints relating to pay or entitlements—to resolve these complaints, please contact the appropriate agency:

The Fair Work Ombudsman
Provides information and advice about Australians workplace rights. If you are an employee of a training provider and have concerns or a complaint about your pay or employment conditions, including unpaid wages, you can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman for assistance:

Fair Work Ombudsman online enquiry form
Phone: 13 13 94

Although ASQA is not the appropriate agency for resolving issues like this, you may still choose to report this information to ASQA.

The information you report about your personal experiences with or observations of, providers are vital input to effective regulation. The information you provide contributes to ASQA’s knowledge of a provider’s behaviour and practice.